In last post, I explained how it started, and some of the starting projects. In this post I hope to set some goals and plans for myself to guide me in the future. And to prevent piling up a too large leadpile. In my day to day job I am working as engineer for a large company, and have learned to set goals, milestones and deadlines, but as this is a hobby, I wont set deadlines. I don’t want to feel bad when I don’t achieve the deadline. So the plans and goals are will not be time bound, so also not completely SMART. But still hope to have some organized planning.
What do I like?
From the experience from the first couple of wargames I have learned that I like historical based actions. This can be real historical or alternative-historical (non-historic battles, with historical equipment). As area of interest I have found a couple:
- Dutch historical conflicts (late medieval, 80 year war, Napoleonic times)
- Air conflicts
- Large scale battles
- Small scale skirmishes
- small scale miniatures
I have been a miniature scale modeler for quite a long time, and have therefore a reasonable experience and set of equipment for painting and basing. Also the preference for small scales comes from that period as I built most of the time 1:144 aircraft and 1:72 tanks. Combining all this I have made a list of different projects for the future. Some are already started and will be continued.
I have listed the different projects which are in my head right now. And hope to stick to this list. All projects consist of 2 sides (or sometimes 3), have a scale defined and a dedicated rule set to play. For the status the following options are possible
- Finished, project is finished and no actions planned. Some parts of it might get reused or repurposed.
- Painting, Step before finishing, from primer to coat. This is also applicable for terrain.
- Acquired, There is the actual lead pile, not having any paint. But might be getting based already.
- Research, project who might be already have some ruleset or scale defined, but where I am still researching what I want to use exactly, and still have to buy models. I might already have bought a set of rules or books on the subject.
- Wish, Just some intresting rules or models I have seen somewere, which might fit with existing projects, or what I still have to define what I do want to do.
- Sample, Some odd projects, which may turn in a full project, but where I have some models as sample for a future project.
|Dutch air war 1940||1:600||Painting||Lacquered Coffins|
|Spanish Civil air war||1:600||Wish||Lacquered coffins|
|Modern air war (try out)||1:600||Finished||Missile Threat|
|Cold war Dutch air force||1:600||Wish||Missile Threat|
| Ethiopian Eritrean Somalia |
| 1:600 ||Research||Missile Threat|
|Napoleonic mass battles |
(including Quatre Bras)
|2 mm||Painting||2 by 2 Napoleonic|
|Late medieval Dutch |
Stichtse oorlog ~1480
| Research ||Lion Rampant?|
|80 year war|| 10 mm || Acquired || Pikemans Lament |
| 80 Year war || 28mm ||Sample|| Pikemans Lament |
|Insurgent vs modern troops|| 15 mm || Wish || Ambush Alley |
This is just a overview of all my plans and wishes. I hope to provide updates on each and every project in the future, in separate posts.
Priorities are quite flexible. Interest do change, so also the priority on the list. Also research and wish items on the list, can sometimes just be done by reading a book or article. And as this is done in some sparetime, I wont put any priorities on these. As long as there is no lead pile, priority is irrellevant.
Now the actual priorities:
- Workplace; Currently the work place is a big mess and I am using an old garden table as desk, which is not very stable. So first actions should be to clean up the work area and update the desk.
- Dutch air war 1940; I have already started this project and it I should work on this, to at least have some possibilities to play some games.
- 10 mm 80 year war; Pikemans Lament is already waiting quite long for a game, so some forces needed to be able to play.
- 2 mm Napoleonic mass battle; Although this is almost finished it is at this moment the lowest on the list. I can already play some games, so it is good enough for now.
So priorities are clear, but probably have to update this in the future, as new projects will start and others get finished. Hope to reflect next year on what I achieved and how close I will follow the priorities.